13 January 2015

eBook Review: Escape for Christmas by Ruth Saberton

"Gemma Pengelley is looking forward to a romantic Christmas with her boyfriend Cal, far away from the chaos caused by their well-meaning family and friends. After a whirlwind of a year some quality time in a picturesque Cornish cottage is exactly what they need. 

But when ghosts of partners past, a tangled web of secrets and the demands of a reality television show strike at the very heart of Gemma’s plans, her dreams of the perfect Christmas crumble. Will she still find her Christmas escape? Or is Gemma just running away?"

Rating: 5/5

You can buy Escape for Christmas as an eBook now

One of my favourite summer reads this year was Ruth Saberton's new book Escape for the Summer. I loved the three leading ladies, I loved the setting and it was just a brilliant read. I was therefore thrilled to see Ruth was bringing them back in a new festive novel, Escape for Christmas. I love reading about familiar characters, and I was keen to see where Gemma and co had got themselves now. The book picks up not far after the other book left off. Gemma is still with her ex-footballer-turned-baker boyfriend Cal, and the pair are still trying to lose weight, and Angel is lording it up as Lady of the Manor in her own mansion complete with her own successful reality TV show. Although Gemma is happy, she's still insecure and when Cal's gorgeous ex-girlfriend appears back on the scene, and Cal seems to be rather shifty with his behaviour, Gemma is starting to have doubts about their happy ever after...

You don't have to have read the first book in order to enjoy this, but I personally recommend you do so that you have the background on these ladies, and how they came to  be where they are now. This book is very much about Gemma, although Angel features quite a lot in it. I loved Gemma in the first book so was pleased this was about her character. Gemma is a fantastic baker, making the most wonderful cakes but her problem is that she can't help herself from eating it too. She knows her weight is a struggle, but Cal loves her as she is, curvaceous and voluptuous. She's quite self-conscious about her figure though, which I'm sure a lot of readers will relate to and it only warmed me to Gemma more.

Cal's behaviour in the book is rather strange, although I did have a little inkling about what he might be doing. Of course, though, Gemma can't see the wood for the trees and suspects the worst of her poor boyfriend. It all becomes worse when the South family descends on their home, and Gemma just can't cope with it. I was frustrated with Cal for being so shifty, because I know he was doing it for the right reasons, but still I did feel incredibly sorry for Gemma and how she was feeling! Her best friend Angel doesn't exactly help either, insisting on the pair's participation in her reality show, when it's clear that it is the last thing Gemma wants.

The book is very funny from beginning to end, with lots of things making me chuckle as I was reading and I was always left with a smile on my face when I was reading this. The book was very readable, I didn't want to stop reading once I had picked up my Kindle at night and found myself whizzing through it far too quickly! I hope that this won't be the last outing for Gemma and the girls because these stories are fab, and I so enjoy reading them. Ruth's writing is brilliant, really bringing to life the settings, the emotion, the characters within this book,and I found the pace to be really good, never lacking at any point and constantly enjoyable to read. A fantastic festive treat, but one to enjoy any time of year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment